Keep it clean!
- Take time to thoroughly clean before settling in and leaving their camp
- Frequently clean and disinfect high-touch surfaces (such as sinks or washbasins, tables, door handles) and cooking utensils
- Prepare a disinfectant using 1 part of bleach and 9 parts of water
Did you know?
- Disinfectant works best when it’s made fresh every day
Disinfect the outhouse
- Make sure that the outhouse is clean and disinfected at all times
- Clean the seat often. Having a garbage bin nearby is important
- Baking soda helps reduce the smell
- When not using the outhouse, keep the seat down to keep the critters away
- Make sure that your hand-washing bowl or hand sanitizer is close by so you can clean your hands after using the outhouse
Wash your hands often
Always have clean water available for your hand-washing bowl
Be sure to change the water and disinfect the bowl regularly
You can also use a blue pail-type water jug to wash your hands, but disinfect the tap and handle with bleach solution after each use
Dry your hands with a paper towel or a towel used only by you
Hand sanitizer is a good alternative if you don't have water, but it doesn't work on dirty hands
The most effective way to clean hands is using soap and warm water
Always keep a garbage bin nearby
For best cleaning results, make a fresh bleach and water solution every day.