Skip to main content

Speech and Language Therapy

Remote video URL


What is it?

Speech-language therapists help people with communication, language, speech and voice problems. They also address swallowing issues. 

Who is it for?

Speech-language therapists work with children, teenagers, adults, parents and special need educators.   

Speech-language therapists can help children who  

  • have difficulties expressing wants and needs,  
  • have a small vocabulary,  
  • experience difficulties understanding others.  
  • experience difficulties in pronouncing words (hard to understand even for family and friends)  
  • stutter  
  • do not seem interested in communicating,  
  • have limited play skills for their age  
  • have voice problems  

Speech-Language Therapists can also help adults who have difficulties with  

  • understanding language 
  • producing speech and/or language 
  • interacting with family/friends 
  • cognitive tasks (organization, memory, …) 
  • swallowing  
  • voice production and quality 

Where is it offered?

When the speech-language therapist comes to your community, you will see him/her either in the clinic, MSDC, daycare, school or home, depending on what works best. 

What is it like?

Speech-language therapy usually involves individual sessions, often including a special needs educator for children. Speech-language therapy can also be presented in information sessions, group therapy sessions, or group workshops.  

During the first session, the Speech-Language Therapist will assess your or your child’s language and speech and will ask questions to understand your needs best. This helps the therapist to find the best ways to help you or your child communicate better. A therapy plan will then be made, which you, the Speech-Language Therapist, and perhaps a daycare or Cree Health Board Special Needs Educator will develop together.  

How long does it last?

Generally, a therapy session lasts one hour. 

How can I get this Speech and Language Therapy?

To get this service, ask for an appointment at the clinic or daycare with a nurse, CHR, or doctor, so you can discuss your needs with them. You do not need a medical referral to access speech and language therapy. Nurses, CHRs or Special Needs Educators might do a screening to understand your needs before referring you or your child to the Speech-Language Therapist.  

Where can I learn more?

To learn more about speech-language therapy in your community, contact your CMC. 

For more general information about SLP, you can visit the website: 

Our Partners

Grand Council of the Crees logo
Santé et des Services sociaux logo
Health Canada logo