Cree Non-Insured Health Benefits
What is it?
People who are registered beneficiaries of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA) and who are living in Eeyou Istchee have access to additional medical benefits not covered by the Quebec Health Insurance Plan. These “non-insured” benefits can be accessed through the Cree Non-Insured Health Benefits Program (CNIHB).
Who is it for?
All Registered Cree Beneficiaries under the JBNQA residing in Eeyou Istchee are eligible to receive these benefits.
Where is it offered?
You can access the services and benefits through your local CMC. Cree beneficiaries temporarily in Montreal can pick up prescription medication for free from the Pharmaprix at Alexis Nihon plaza at Atwater metro. Present your status card or Band card, RAMQ card, and your prescription at the pharmacy counter. At other pharmacies, you will be required to pay and will be reimbursed later.
What benefits and services are covered?
The benefits and services covered by CNIHB are:
- Prescription drugs
- Over-the-counter drugs and proprietary medicines
- Medical supplies
- Transportation for health reasons (including authorized escorts, interpretation services, meals and lodging)
- Vision care, including eyeglasses and contact lenses where medically necessary
- Dental care and orthodontics
- Hearing aids
- Emergency mental health services (short-term mental health services)
- Reimbursement of dispensing fees
- Repatriation of the deceased
Services/treatments not covered by Cree NIHB are:
- Private or semi-private room requested by the patient (client)
- Surgery and other care for purely aesthetic reasons
- Pharmaceutical, dietetic or cosmetic products not insured within Quebec’s health insurance regime OR which are not on Health Canada’s NIHB Program list of recognized benefits
- Treatment received outside of Canada if it has not been pre-approved by the Régie de l’assurance maladie du Québec (RAMQ)
- Services provided by a private clinic
- Services not prescribed by a CBHSSJB physician or health professional
How can I get this service?
You receive this service automatically as a Cree beneficiary under the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement.
Where can I learn more?
For more information, including information on eligibility, please call the CNIHB Department or your local Cree Nation office.
Cree Non-Insured Health Benefits Department
PO Box 250
Chisasibi QC J0M 1E0