On Monday, June 19, the CBHSSJB decided that hemodialysis clients from Oujé-Bougoumou and Waswanipi who are currently lodging at the Espresso Hotel in Montreal can go home this week if they wish to.
Because of the threat of fires and smoke around Mistissini, which will pose a serious risk for vulnerable clients, members from Mistissini will not be returning for now.
Oujé-Bougoumou and Waswanipi clients
On Monday, the CBHSSJB decided that hemodialysis clients from Oujé-Bougoumou and Waswanipi who are currently lodging at the Espresso Hotel in Montreal can go home this week if they wish to.
There are some risks to returning this week, because of the heat wave and the possibility of more smoke in the air. But for now, we believe the risks can be managed as long as precautions are taken.
Wiichihiituwin will be speaking to clients individually to help them make the right decision to stay in Montreal or go home.
Specifically, clients should know that:
It is safe to return with precautions.
The current heat wave may trigger fires and another evacuation, so clients should be prepared and stay informed by checking information provided by PSO and the band office.
Smoke continues to be a concern. Clients who decided to travel will be provided with N-95 masks and other information on how to stay safe.
If SOPFEU, Emergency measures and Nephrology team decide on an evacuation back to Montreal, they must leave by plane (organized by Wiichihiituwin).
Wiichihiituwin will prepare clients to travel as soon as they have completed their treatments in Montreal.
CBHSSJB asks that hemodialysis clients (and anyone else who is the Phase 1 category) from Mistissini stay in Montreal this week.
Our partners at SOPFEU believe the hot weather could aggravate the fires that continue to burn near Mistissini, which will pose a serious risk for vulnerable clients.
We know you miss your loved ones but we must think of your health first.
We will continue to keep you updated and will do everything we can to make the rest of your stay in Montreal as comfortable as possible.
We will re-evaluate the situation for our Mistissini clients on Friday.