The White Spruce is a large coniferous evergreen tree that can be found in Whapmagoostui and along the coast. Boughs collected from the white spruce can be boiled to purify our indoor air and clean the surfaces in our homes.
How To Prepare White Spruce Medicine
1. Collect white spruce branches following traditional protocols.
2. Break branches into smaller pieces and place in a large pot with 17 cups (4 litres) of water.
3. Bring the white spruce to a boil, and keep boiling for about 20 minutes or until you smell the aroma throughout your home.
4. Take big calming breaths, breathing in the steam.
5. You may also place in a bowl to directly breathe in the steam.
6. Once boiled, remove pot from heat and let liquid cool.
7. Strain cooled liquid into another clean container.
Once strained, it can be transferred to a spray bottle and used as a surface cleaner in your home. Boil this medicine twice a day to clean the air in your home—in the morning and before sunset. You may continue this procedure as long as you wish.
Precautions when using Traditional Medicine
As with any medicine, exercise caution. Follow instructions for preparation and use. This medicine should not be consumed.
In response to COVID-19, we wanted to share some of this knowledge with all Eeyouch and Eenouch so they can prevent and/or treat symptoms of COVID-19.