Please be careful when using propane generators, propane stoves or barbeques to cook or stay warm during power outages.
If your home does not have power, please consider going to community shelters set up by Public Safety to warm up.
Did you know?
The fumes from this equipment contains carbon monoxide and can be dangerous to your health.
If you are using propane generators, propane stoves, or barbeques, do not use them in enclosed spaces.
Propane and gas should only be used in well-ventilated areas.
Please use this equipment outdoors, and away from windows, doors or vents.
Keep the food from your fridge and freezer cold. Keep your fridge and freezer closed as much as possible or move your food outside to keep it cold. Do not eat any food that did not stay cold during the power outage.
If you are returning home after the power outage, find out how long the power was out at your house to help you decide if it is safe to eat the food in your fridge or freezer:
- An unopened refrigerator will keep foods cold for approximately 4 to 6 hours.
- An unopened full freezer will keep food frozen for up to 48 hours.
- A half full freezer will keep food frozen for about 24 hours.