Skip to main content

Keep your home safe from mould

 How does mould affect your health?

Moulds can cause eye, nose and throat irritation, coughing and phlegm build-up, wheezing and allergic reactions.

What causes moulds?

  • Water leakage from a roof or plumbing leak, or flooding.
  • Steam or moisture in the air from baths/showers, cooking and wet laundry.
  • Condensation on windows due to cold outdoor temperatures and high indoor humidity.

 Clean up small areas of mould yourself

  •  Use a cloth and liquid detergent
  •  Wear a mask, rubber gloves and safety glasses
  •  Fix the source of dampness so the mould won’t grow back again

 

Get help for larger areas

  •  Contact your Housing Department
Shower, toilet and sink in bathroom of house

Did you know?

Mould is most commonly found in damp areas like:

  • The basement

  • Under or behind stored items

  • In the bathroom, under the sink or around the bath/shower

  • On window sills or on gyproc walls near the window

Simple tips to keep your house free of moulds

  • Keep your air exchanger turned on for several hours a day – this will bring in fresh air from outside and get rid of stale air.
  • Turn on the bathroom fan for every shower or bath and keep it running for 30 minutes after.
  • Use your kitchen fan when you cook, and clean the fan regularly.
  • Buy a dehumidifier and keep it running in your basement all summer. Don’t forget to empty the water holder every couple of days.
  • Fix all water leaks quickly (within a couple of days).
  • Dry puddles and wet material within 24 to 48 hours using cloths and a fan.
  • Gyproc, carpets, wood or other materials that have been damp for a few days need to be thrown out and replaced. It only takes 48 to 72 hours for mould to start growing.

Our Partners

Image
Grand Council of the Crees logo
Image
Santé et des Services sociaux logo
Image
Health Canada logo