How to stay physically active
Focusing on healthy habits like physical activity helps us build a strong Cree Nation.
Did you know?
Physical activity has many health benefits and there are different ways to stay active. By making it fun and something we enjoy, we are more likely to do it consistently. This means we will also see more benefits.
Wherever you are, you can find ways to move your body and feel good! There is something for everybody.
Walking is a Cree tradition
- Choose to walk on a nice day instead of drive
- Walk to visit friends or family
- Walk to work
- Walk after lunch or on breaks
- Find a walking buddy
- Walk together as a family
- Snowshoe at camp or on community trails
- Track how long or far you walk - you may be surprised at how much you can do!
Enjoy the land
- Gather traditional medicine
- Pick blueberries or forage mushrooms
- Cut wood
- Shovel snow
- Go fishing or hunting
- Go sliding
- Ski or skate
- Prepare camp
- Enjoy traditional activities outside with your family
Move wherever you are
- Play with your kids outside
- Try exercising at the gym
- Work or play outside
- Go for a jog or run
- Join a team sport or exercise class
- Start a new active hobby, like jogging or swimming
- Find workout videos you like online
- Do chores
Try making physical activity part of each day!
Being active is part of healthy living. It has many benefits for our physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual health.
Winter Active activities run from January through March 2023 in each community. Contact your Chishaayiiyuu PPRO at the CMC for details.