Person who does design, guidance, counselling, implementation, analysis and assessment work in one or more social programs.
The social worker based at Chisasibi’s high school carries out her/his role within the policy principles and guidelines of Miyupimaatisiiun paradigms and practices, and Cree social services model more especially for the Uschiniichisuu program of the Community Miyupimaatisiiun Centres (CMC) of Chisasibi.
The Uschiniichisuu program which is a whole set of integrated services for youth care. These services include the school health program, psychosocial support, nutrition and teen clinics, immunization, oral health, NNADAP, and mental health program when applicable, and other related programs.
The school-based social worker carries out the following specific functions:
• Performs assessment (individual & family);
• Offers attendance counselling;
• Provides consultation and coaching to school staff;
• Intervenes in case of crisis;
• Provides individual counselling;
• Organizes Group work;
• Develops capacity building for staff;
• Liaison with community professionals
• Liaises with, and make referrals to other community resources within the CMC, Youth Protection and community ressources ;
• Works as part of an interdisciplinary team and in close partnership with Community Health Representative (CHR), Nurse, Social Assistance Technician, Doctor, Nutritionist, and various other community health services and staff.;
• Carries out psychosocial assessment, care, counselling, information and referral services for women and family in order to resolve psychosocial and emotional problems and allow the clienteles to increase their self-reliance, quality of life and social integration;
• Supports different community working relationships including participation, liaison and consultation;
• Carries out all other related tasks upon the request of her/his immediate supervisor.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Social Work or Social Services;
• Member in good standing of the Ordre professionnel des travailleurs sociaux et des thérapeutes conjugaux et familiaux du Québec (OTSTCFQ).
• Two (2) years of relevant experience in social work.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Good understanding of psychosocial issues;
• Knowledge of Cree culture, social/health issues and Eenou/Eeyou Pimaatsiiun healing practices and paradigms is an asset;
• Ability to identify and analyze clientele needs;
• Ability to communicate theoretical and practical knowledge, as applied to coaching and training;
• Excellent critical thinking, synthesis, organizational and decision making skills;
• Sense of accountability, resourcefulness and autonomy;
• Teamwork skills.
• Excellent autonomy and adaptation skills;
• Fluent in English;
• Fluency in Cree and French is an asset.
• Possibility of on-call period;
Other ways to apply
Please forward your resume to:
Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay
With your application, please make sure to specify the posting number and the job title.
We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with various Sections of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA), the organization has the objective of staffing all of its positions with qualified and competent beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
Life in Eeyou Istchee
We are the Cree of Eeyou Istchee. We call ourselves Eeyou and Eenou. Our name means simply “the people”. Clients of the CBHSSJB include the almost 18,000 people residing in the nine Cree communities and scattered throughout the territory at hunting camps, mine sites, hydro-electric installations and logging camps.
The best way to experience the Cree way of life is by participating in community and cultural activities. Most communities have an ice rink, fitness centre and a gymnasium. Several communities, including Chisasibi, have indoor pools. Ask the Community Health Representative or Community Organizer at the clinic about opportunities to participate in Cree cultural activities such as walking out ceremonies. The region offers some of the world’s best fishing, canoeing, hiking and snowmobiling.