SUMMARY OF THE POSITION
Person who is responsible for one or more programs with a view to providing professional assistance for the development of services. She/he conducts research activities that are necessary for identifying and assessing needs and resources. She/he designs and proposes development plans and programs in order to ensure adequate service planning. She/he provides advice concerning the implementation or improvement of programs and/or services. She/he may participate in various teaching or training activities.
1. Promotes a physically active lifestyle in Eeyou Istchee in order to prevent or manage chronic diseases.
2. Develops programs, manuals and support tools that focus on physical activity.
3. Supports and participates to the development and implementation of chronic disease education programs in a multidisciplinary team.
4. Provides training related to diabetes prevention and care through physical activity in group sessions and individual coaching, to health care providers.
5. Develops health care providers’ skills in adapting their counselling according to their clientele’s needs and actual activity levels.
6. Collaborates effectively with peers, other health care team members and community partners.
7. Communicates effectively health promotion and prevention information related to physical activity to public and team members.
• Bachelor’s degree related to Physical Activity. A master’s degree in a relevant field is an asset
• Equivalent combination of knowledge and experience.
Knowledge and Abilities:
• Demonstrated experience in community health promotion and prevention.
• Knowledge of the MHSSQ network, regulations and public health programs is an asset.
• Experience in planning, implementing and evaluating programs is an asset.
• Demonstrated experience in developing tools and material.
• Demonstrated experience in planning and delivering training to staff, through group sessions and individual coaching.
• Good knowledge of health issues in Eeyou Istchee.
• Ability to integrate Cree culture, values, traditions and teachings into programming.
• Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team.
• Autonomous and flexible.
• Leadership skills in working with individuals and groups.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
• Good working knowledge of computer applications, especially Microsoft Office.
• Fluent in English and Cree or French.
• Willing to travel extensively.
Other ways to apply
Please forward your resume to:
Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay
With your application, please make sure to specify the posting number and the job title.
We thank all candidates who apply, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
In accordance with various Sections of the James Bay and Northern Quebec Agreement (JBNQA), the organization has the objective of staffing all of its positions with qualified and competent beneficiaries of the JBNQA.
Life in Eeyou Istchee
We are the Cree of Eeyou Istchee. We call ourselves Eeyou and Eenou. Our name means simply “the people”. Clients of the CBHSSJB include the almost 18,000 people residing in the nine Cree communities and scattered throughout the territory at hunting camps, mine sites, hydro-electric installations and logging camps.
The best way to experience the Cree way of life is by participating in community and cultural activities. Most communities have an ice rink, fitness centre and a gymnasium. Several communities, including Chisasibi, have indoor pools. Ask the Community Health Representative or Community Organizer at the clinic about opportunities to participate in Cree cultural activities such as walking out ceremonies. The region offers some of the world’s best fishing, canoeing, hiking and snowmobiling.