The Cree Board of Health and Social Services of James Bay (CBHSSJB) is responsible for the administration of health and social services for all persons residing either permanently or temporarily in Region 18, the administrative region of the Ministry of Health and Social Services of Quebec corresponding to the Cree territory of James Bay. Our mandate is defined in Chapter S-5 An Act respecting health services and social services for Cree Native Persons.
Community Miyupimaatisiiun (health) Centres (CMCs)
In each of the 9 communities of Eeyou Istchee, the CBHSSJB operates a Community Miyupimaatisiiun Centre (CMC), which is similar to a CSSS elsewhere in Quebec. CMCs offer services in general medicine, home care, dentistry, and social services.
Regional establishments and services
- The 29-bed Chisasibi Regional Hospital.
- Three regional facilities for troubled youth, operated by Youth Healing Services.
- Regional Public Health, located in Mistissini, with a satellite office in Montreal.
- Cree Patient Services liaison offices in Chibougamau, Val d’Or and Montreal.
- Human Resources recruitment office at 277 Duke Street in Montreal (phone 1-877-562-2733). HR handles recruitment for all job categories except doctors and dentists.
When Cree patients need specialized care such as surgery, this is arranged through the Province of Quebec’s Réseau Universitaire Intégré de Santé (RUIS). Under this system, Cree beneficiaries have access to services provided by four McGill University teaching hospitals in Montreal: McGill University Health Centre (MUHC), Jewish General Hospital, St. Mary’s Hospital Centre, and Douglas Mental Health University Institute. Find out more about RUIS-McGill.
The CBHSSJB is governed by a Board of Directors whose Chairperson is Bella M. Petawabano. Advisory Committees and Councils report directly to the Office of the Chairman, as does the Commissioner of Complaints and Quality of Services and the Medical Examiner. The Executive Director is Mrs. Mabel Herodier.
The CBHSSJB is organized into 5 departments:
1. General Management Department includes the office of the Executive Director and Corporate Services;
2. Miyupimaatisiiun Department delivers all medical and social services. It is the largest Department;
3. Pimuhteheu Department is responsible for program planning and public health;
4. Nishiiyuu Department ensures that services and programs are delivered in a way that is in harmony with Cree culture and values;
5. Administration Department includes Human Resources, IT, Finance and Material Resources.